Here at Compton Pre-school, we are proud to be involved with the local West Berkshire ECAT initiative.
- ECAT began as a National Strategy that was introduced across England.
- ECAT in West Berkshire is currently funded by the local authority.
ECAT focuses on encouraging the communication skills of young children through work with pre-school settings. The whole team working in the setting is involved in supporting ECAT and they have a lead practitioner (known as an ELLP) who attends termly cluster meetings.
Each setting that is involved in the initiative has three goals that they are working towards:
1. Identifying and supporting children who may be ‘at risk of delay’;
2. Developing the knowledge and skills of all of the practitioners who work within the setting;
3. Helping parents to understand the stages of development of speech and language skills and how they can encourage their child’s development.
For more information and resources, please visit the west berkshire ECAT site http://www.westberksecat.info