Our Aims & Values
- To provide a safe, secure and stimulating environment where all children are encouraged to explore and investigate through play.
- To enhance the development and learning opportunities of each child.
- To work in a partnership with parents, respecting parents are the first and most important educators of their child, using the key person to foster trusting and caring relationships.
- To create an environment where children flourish within the principles of the Early Years Foundation Stage, which ensures an equal opportunity, for all children.
Please click here to download a copy of our Prospectus. Prospectus – Updated April 2021
The Pre-school is a charity and as such is managed by a volunteer management committee – whose members are elected by the parents of the children who attend our setting. The elections take place at our Annual General Meeting. The committee is responsible for:
- managing our finances;
- employing and managing our staff;
- making sure that we have, and work to, policies that help us to provide a high quality service; and
- making sure that we work in partnership with parents.
The Annual General Meeting, held in the Autumn term, is open to the parents of all of the children who attend the pre-school or toddler group. It is our shared forum for looking back over the previous year’s activities and shaping the coming year’s plan.
The Chair, Secretary and Treasurer will be stepping down at the next AGM. If any of these position interest you and you would like to know more then please contact us.
Louise Somerville – Pre-school Manager
I joined the Pre-school in April 2017 as a Pre-School Assistant, having previously been bank staff in 2012. I became Deputy Manager in September 2017 and then Manager in September 2018. I live in Compton with my partner and 3 children, two of whom have attended Pre-school and are now at the local primary school.
I have worked in Childcare since qualifying in 2007. I have worked at several local nurseries, most recently being a room supervisor of a 24 place baby room. I managed a small team of 8 staff and oversaw the day to day running of the baby room within the nursery. I enjoy working with children, developing their individual needs and seeing them grow and flourish. I find working with children very rewarding, knowing that I am helping them gain skills for life.
In my spare time I enjoy spending quality time with my family. I enjoy baking with my children, going out on family walks, going to the park and taking the children to feed the ducks.
- Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for the Children and Young Person’s Workforce
- NVQ 3 Childcare, Learning and Development
- Child Protection and Safeguarding Children Designated Person
- Behaviour Management Officer
- First Aid
- Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene
- Safer Recruitment
Dominique Barton – Pre-School Deputy Manager
I joined the Pre-School in April 2019 after a break of 2 years from childcare and became Deputy in June 2021. I completed my NVQ Level 2 and Level 3 in Childcare at Chiltern College, in Caversham Reading, in 1998. I have also achieved my Level 3 in Leadership and Management. I have previously worked in a Nursery setting as a Room Leader and as a Private Nanny over the years to three separate families. I have most recently been a Deputy Manager and a Manager at two local village Pre-Schools.
I live in Hermitage with my partner and two daughters, Lilly 17 and Ruby 14. My love and passion is working with children. I am fully committed to my role, making children smile and enjoy their time within the Pre-School environment. I am the big kid of the room the majority of the time and have a firm but fair attitude.
- NVQ Level 2 in Childcare
- NVQ Level 3 in Childcare
- Level 3 in Leadership and Management
Selina Heaver – Pre-School Assistant
Sharon Brown – Pre-school Assistant and Third in Charge
I have been working with children since 1996 as a Welfare Assistant, Pre-school Assistant, Deputy Supervisor and Learning Support Assistant. In 2009 I passed my NVQ Level 3 in Children’s Care Learning and Development. I enjoy working with children from pre-school to primary school age and in particular fascinated by communication and language, children’s love of stories and songs, and fostering their interest in literacy. I also love to encourage children to be outdoors, to further their learning using FYFS in an outside environment and to teach them to enjoy and respect nature.
I have lived in Compton since 1999. My three children attended the local primary school and my granddaughter’s all came to Compton Pre-school. I am a busy mum and grandmother and in my spare time I like to garden, walk on the downs, meditate and spend time with my family and friends.
- NVQ Level 3 Children’s Care Learning and Development
Claire Lawrence – Pre-school Administrator and Bank Staff
I joined the Pre-school in April 2016 as Administrator after 4 years on the Management Committee. Previously I worked as a Medical Secretary in the NHS for 12 years.
I moved to Compton in 2012 with my partner, we have 2 children who both attended Compton Pre-school before moving onto Primary School.
- ILM Level 5 Diploma in Management
- NVQ Level 2 in Administration
- NVQ Level 2 in Customer Services
- Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene
Rose Bradford – Bank Staff
After graduating I worked as an English Teacher and in a variety of office roles before I was introduced to the Pre-School. My son started at Compton Pre-School in 1994, followed shortly by my daughter. I became a parent helper, committee member and eventually, in 1999, a member of staff.
In 2005 I moved on to a Primary School in Reading, where I taught in the nursery, returning to Pre-School as bank staff in 2013. I am enjoying being part of the Pre-School team again.
I am particularly interested in supporting early language development and worked as the ELLP (Early Language Lead Professional) at school. I believe the Early Years are fundamentally important, and it is a genuine privilege to be able to contribute to a child’s growth and development at that stage.
- BA (Hons) English and American Studies
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education
- Cache Level 3 Diploma in Pre-School Practice